The Last experiment

The previous article attracted rather moderate interest (to put it mildly). So I decided to make one more - and last - attempt. Let me remind you that the general idea of ​​this experiment is to verify the quality of (let's say) my English. Let's assume I'll take the average of both attempts...

Soon it will be a year since the commencement of the modern history of my roleplaying (the first test session was scheduled on April 22 2020 as seen in my calendar). So I might make a mini-summary.  Looking back, I can see ups and downs. I see mistakes, but also flashes of (specific) genius. But there is one thing in particular that I would like to pinpoint today. This topic has been raised billions of times (and it probably still is and will be). But my goal is not to persuade anyone or evaluate the issue. I just want to present my feelings resulting from the experience of these several modern sessions and dozens of ancient ones.

Improvisation.

But one that covers the entire session, not just some detail or minor event. And also I don't mean the situation when MG didn't prepare material for the session (been there, done that).

So, maybe I will describe how I do it. Or at least how I'm trying to do it.

It all depends on whether it is the first session of the adventure or one of next ones. In the first case, I prepare main plots of the adventure and try to generate as much material as I can, taking into account how long it may take during the game. All of this in order to introduce PC to the principles of the adventure, give him some options to choose and follow path in the set direction. And at the same time ensure that I do not have to invent everything on the fly. Because it ends badly. Always.

If the adventure was designed for one session, I don't really have much to improvise.  The adventure is short (we play max 4 hours, or rather closer to 3 hours) and I can prepare the material for the whole thing in a reasonable time, leave improvisation for some meetings or side plots.

It is different if I know the adventure will be big - three sessions for example. I am not really able to prepare so much material in advance. Also, PC is likely to ruin the plan, following his own path of logic.  In that case, I am preparing the first session and the assumptions or general plan of the entire adventure.

After the first session, I already have a plan of action for the character, so it remains for me to develop the original assumptions in the direction that PC followed. And add one or two side plots. Then I will decide whether they will be related to the main plot.

I put it all together and complement it with improvisation. It allows me to remain flexible, and at the same time, I already know so much about the adventure that I can add more details on the fly, and even go to a path that PC wants to follow, with no previously prepared material.

Such "controlled improvisation" - that is, one embedded in the frames of a previously prepared plan - has a significant advantage over going full force. All the time I am staying in the areas of adventure that I'm familiar with, because I have thought it over beforehand. Thanks to this, there is only small chance that I will get lost. It gives me psychological comfort, which makes all of it even easier.

Of course, there are many uncertainties here. It's easy to skip preparation phase - it's improvisation after all! Why should I prepare anything in advance? It's a mistake - it will retaliate. Always. The third hour of the session, approaching midnight, is a really bad time to think about new plots. It's more a time to try to keep your mind fresh and in control of your adventure. Having a good plan pays off many times over.

Enough.

Komentarze

Popularne posty z tego bloga

WFRP 4ed - recenzja

Poradnik Staroświatowca - recenzja

4 edycja